2017- Time for a 2nd Shopping Ban
Last year I did my first shopping ban and I lasted 3 months without shopping. I have never done anything like that ever before. I kept thinking, “I like this. I love shutting down the consumer beast within me for a while”.
But, there were also days when I felt a sense of anxiety during the Shopping Ban- Anxiety that I will see the most awesome, perfect-in-every-way dress and will not be able to buy it. Anxiety that I will NEED a piece of clothing and will not be able to buy it. The reality? That day never came. I did not miss out on any perfect dresses. Even if I did, I forgot about them very soon.
As of today, I have everything I need. That means it is time to take a break from casually browsing websites and in stores. It is time to focus on things other than a perfect wardrobe.
Rules of my Shopping Ban:
1. I cannot buy any new dresses, skirts, tops (blouses, t shirts), denim, shorts, shoes and costume jewelry. Buying New is NOT an option.
2. I should stop CASUALLY looking for clothes AND SHOES (my biggest weakness) on websites and in-stores.
3. If I slip and start ‘window shopping’, I have to make a list of everything that was tempting and analyse (for myself) why I was tempted in the first place. This is pretty much a mental exercise to re-train my brain to STOP GETTING HIGH ON SHOPPING.
4. If I really need a piece of clothing that I don’t already have, I will have to try to borrow from a good friend.
5. Buying second-hand is my LAST option. Of course, I need to keep a track of how many such items I bought (a.k.a How I broke my ban? Why I broke my ban? Was it really worth it?)
1. I am allowed to buy underwear or nightwear, if needed. But I will keep a track of it.
2. I am allowed to buy / replenish skin care or beauty products. But, I cannot spend more than $50 per month.
3. I am on the fence about Fine Jewelry. Should I put it on the ban list too?
1. How long is this ban for? I am thinking until end of May 2017. Can I do longer? I don’t know. Will I fail? I don’t know. I am definitely going to try to stay on track.
2. During this period, I want to blog about all the nice things as well as the absolute worst purchases sitting in my closet.
What do you think? Anyone interested in doing a ban along with me? It doesn’t matter if you want to do it for just 30 days or even less. I think it feels good to be a team and talk ourselves out of buying stuff we don’t really need! Please let me know in the comments section or write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org