Best of 2016 – Style Edition
1. Comme Des Garcon Play Striped Tee: This is turning out to be my favorite t shirt of all time. It costs 10 times as much as Gap Tee and about 4 times as much as an Everlane Striped Tee. I am yet to find out if the ‘Made in Japan’ tag lives up to its hype. If you go strictly by cost per wear, it should last at least 100 wears without even trying too hard.
What do I already love about this Tee? It is a nice mid-weight. I love the vibrant blue stripes and the little heart (cliche, but so nice without being too cute!). It washes well and holds it shape. This is also the first t shirt that is good length for me. Most T shirts hit me mid-thigh! I am not sure if all women are that tall!! I also love that the shoulder seams sit at the right place. I am a little tired of the ‘drop shoulders’ trend. It is neither too boxy nor too fitted. I am not really sure how CDG striped Ts compare to Saint James ones. Probably next year, I can do a comparison if I get around to buying a Saint James T.
2. Theory Cashmere Sweater: I live in Arizona and don’t have much need/ use for sweaters. We hardly have 2 to 3 months of cold weather. Winters are pretty tame, even when compared to California or Nevada. This is my first 100% cashmere sweater. Yep, at the ripe old age of 30, I bought my first one. There is something romantic about 3/4th sleeve sweaters. I don’t know.. maybe I like to romanticize boring things. I love the mauve color of this one. It’s so light and warm!. The faux turtleneck is a nice twist. I am hoping that it’ll last me a few years. For the money I spent, I hope it does!!
3. Salvatore Ferragamo Vara Pumps: I cannot stop talking about these shoes. They just elevate my everyday outfits. I wear them to work, parties, and date nights. They are comfortable for a couple of hours of standing and walking around. But, in all honesty, they start to hurt when I do serious walking (exploring cities and down-towns on foot etc). I have been told that patent leather can take a while to breakdown. But, I think it is really to do with my wide feet. Ferragamo, if you are hearing, please make a size 4 in a C width. In terms of wear and tear, they seem indestructible. I might have to get them re-soled at the end of 2017. Other than that, I think they are made to last.
4. Ann Taylor Dress: This one is Polyester. Also, for all I know AT manufactures most of its clothes in China (this one is made in Vietnam). As much as I would love to buy all my clothes from more transparent brands, I cannot afford to. Many transparent brands don’t manufacture silhouettes and styles that look good on me. That is the sad truth. I try to compensate by buying less and less things every year. I am also starting to buy from second hand markets (Poshmark, TheRealReal, Ebay). This dress is really well made and doesn’t show any signs of wear or tear yet. I’ve worn it upwards of 40 times.
5. Cambridge Satchel Saddle Bag: This is slowly turning into my favorite weekend/ run-errands bag. It doesn’t fit much – My card holder, a travel size comb, sun glasses (in a pouch), a lip balm / lipstick and my phone. That’s it. It keeps me in check from carrying too much and hurting my shoulders. What makes it great is the leather – It is pretty much bullet proof. The texture, look and feel of it makes it a great casual bag. I got the original strap resized at my cobbler’s as it was too long for me. I got it on sale at less than $150.
6. Marc Jacobs Honey: This is such a warm and happy perfume! I am a big fan of honey (the one you eat) in real life and was curious to try it when I saw it in Sephora. I love that is NOT overly sweet after it settles down. It is a nice daytime floral. I bought the biggest bottle I found (100 ml) at TJ Maxx for about $40.
7. J. Crew Cardholder: I had some store credit from 2015. For less than $15 bucks (sale price), it has served me very well. Surprisingly, it holds upwards of 10 cards (both sides and the middle inner compartment). I just slide it in my pocket and I am all set for my walk to the local coffee shop. One of the best buys. I think it’ll last another year, if not longer.
What are your favorite purchases of 2016?