Begin Again: Style Recap
Have you seen the movie Begin Again? It was available on Netflix in October. If you haven’t already watched it, please do. It reminded me of another awesome music movie that I watched many years ago – Once.
Kiera Knightley is clearly the star of the movie. Over the years, I watched all of her movies. Some, I like more than others. But as somebody who loves the magic of clothes, I’d say the real star of the movie is her Style. She pretty much wears a uniform without trying too hard to match anything. The formula is so simple and beautiful.
Things I love about her outfits:
- They say ‘Summer in the City’ without trying too hard.
- This is one of those few times when it is actually refreshing to watch an outsider in NewYork city.
- She has a purpose, even if that purpose is to just look around and explore.
- Her clothes are a natural extension of her personality in the movie.
- High waist linen trousers, slightly tapered at the ankle – WHERE CAN WE FIND THOSE??
- Boxy blouses – sleeveless, cap sleeves, cropped, checks, linens, silk – dreams come true!
- Those loafers are made to be paired with those trousers.
- Simple belts with non shiny buckles.
- Cotton knee length / midi dresses in checks and stripes with SANDALS – perfect for walking around.
- There are about 7 to 8 outfits in the entire movie. Many of the basics are repeated.
I love how this pair of trousers are repeated through out the movie. Those black sandals go so well with that belt in the second outfit.
I’ll be honest here, this is most definitely not how I dress. I don’t have the effortless, body type and height for it. But, that doesn’t stop me for loving and admiring her style in the movie. I am sure quite a few of us can take cues from these outfits.
Quick Trivia: The costume designer, Arjun Bhasin worked on quite a few awesome movies – Dil Chahta Hai, Monsoon Wedding, The Namesake, Delhi 6, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Life of Pi to name a few . My Indian friends will know this list better than my American ones. The true test of a costume designer is whether his / her clothes can lend to the story without ever taking away attention from the actual narrative. With Begin Again, he definitely hit the sweet spot.
PS: The sound track is great too. Great to listen when you are doing chores! 🙂
What was the last movie that you liked the clothes in? Let me know in the comments section. I’d love to hear what caught your attention.