In the last two years, the fashion world has given us quite a few bad trends (at least that’s how I see them). I cringe every time I think about the amount of fashion waste we generate together. This post is just me venting my frustration. Please forgive the sarcasm in my tone. When it comes fashion and style, I cannot hide it!
- Drop shoulders: Why? What happened to good tailoring? How did we go from tailored to relaxed to borrowed from the boys to droopy / dropped shoulders. Dear fashion retailers and designers, for you the whole drop shoulders seems to convey relaxed and effortless. On most people, it looks like they came out wearing their oversized sleep shirts. Add to this that most of those t shirts look old and shapeless with a couple of washes. As much as you want us to look like the french chic girl who has the perfectly imperfect bed head or top knot and is actually an avant-garde painter or a budding ballerina that lives in a striped uniform, No! we cannot all be her. So, please stop.
- Bare shoulders or off shoulders: I am starting to think it is NOT an anomaly that yet another trend has to do with shoulders. Some of the tops in this trend look like wardrobe malfunctions waiting to happen. I am afraid that women with anything bigger than B cup may experience a ‘slip off’ with these tops. The feminist in me totally supports the whole ‘free the nipple campaign’. More power to you! But what about us? – the women who don’t feel a need to free the nipple or don’t want to free the nipple? How do so many fashion bloggers wear this so nonchalantly in their blog photos and street style posts? Are they not afraid about flashing their strapless bras? More importantly, where do you go wearing these kind of tops? To Costco’s freezer sections? To work? To the doctor’s office?
3. The return of bodycon and Naked Dresses: Again, why? We already know how most celebrity bodies look. Between social media, full spread magazine photos and enough perfume commercials, there is not much left to imagination. Heck, my unborn child already knows how Kim K’s bum looks like. There is no escaping it. Then why do we still have so many Naked dresses in town? Of all the venues, the 2015 Met Gala? This is one place where designers can show off their most beautiful, craziest pieces of clothing modeled by some of the most beautiful women. The only rule you had to stick to was the theme – interpreted literally or metaphorically – China Through the Looking Glass. Then why did so many of the designers decide to do “Booty through the naked dress” ??
4. Fur Doll charms on your designer bags: Either you think this is such a great high brow-low brow reference or you are getting so many ‘It bags’ for free, that it seemed like a ‘good investment’ to spend close to a $1000 on a fur charm. No wonder some men think fashion is stupid. The argument that those charms are made of real rabbit, mink, fox fur is definitely NOT helping anyone’s case!! They remind me of ‘key chain sanitizers’ attached to bags and Doraemon charms on children’s bags.
A few years ago, mobile apps and games were sprouting like nobody’s business and every tech / gaming company was offering some app (some of them good, some of them bad) for $1.99. I distinctly remember seeing an app for $99.99. The whole purpose of the app was to flash a screen saying ‘I AM RICH’ when you unlock your phone! Surprisingly, there were more than a few thousand downloads on that app. These fur charms remind me of that app. Sorry, Rant over!
5. Pom Poms: I know that most of us still have an pre-teen hiding inside our liberated, womanly bodies. How else am I supposed to explain this love for Pom Poms on everything this year? Unless, you still love cotton candy, shocking pink and secretly throw parties for your dolls, why would you wear this? I cannot fathom what daily business you can attend to and be taken seriously while sporting pom poms.?
6. Straw Bags and Basket Bags: Really? Straw Bags on NewYork women? Don’t get me started on the Jane Birkin tangent. I will not be able stop telling how she is one of the most overrated actor, singer / fashion inspiration out there! That is a whole new post. Unless you really live on a farm or raise chickens, Straw Bags are not meant for you. Straw Bags belong to my grandma who actually lived on a farm and raised chickens among other things. If you are really heading to the beach or the pool and actually own a straw bag already, by all means use it! But, why would you be dressed like you are going to work and then carry a Straw bag or Basket Bag?? Dear bloggers, this year you went from Chloe bags to Gucci floral bags to ‘I-am-so-cool-that-I-can-rock-a-basket-bag’. (Sarcastic Slow Clap!)
My intention was not to rag on anyone. I think, in the name of fashion, brands and retailers churn out absolute waste that gets discarded, come next year. Are there any trends you don’t like? What are you pet peeves? I would love to know..